The Osceola Ditch, also known as the East Ditch, was built in 1889-1890 to convey water from Lehman Creek, Nevada to a hydraulic mine operation at Osceola. Extending for 18 mi (29 km), the ditch includes a 600 ft (180 m) tunnel as well as wooden flumes. The early success of the ditches did not last long, and gold production did not meet expectations. Eventually, gold production halted. The remains of the ditch still exist and we hiked along the ditch for several miles. At one point we came upon a mountain lion kill, which was neat to see. The ecology of the mountain was so neat to see from desert at 4,000 feet to high mountain alpines at 10,000+ feet.